Seven Pet Foods - The benefits of grain free dog food

by Jo Milnes on September 22, 2020

Here at Distinctive Pets we have carefully selected certain brands and products and we'd like to share with you why we've chosen them by getting behind the brand. 

First up is Seven Pet Food. 

I was first introduced to Seven Pet Food when visiting a show and talking to the people who had started the company.

Seven Pet was set up by a group of independent pet retailers who wanted to provide a high quality food that would be good for a dog’s healthy but wouldn’t break the bank.

Why Seven?  The name Seven came as they talked about the benefits that they wanted the food to have – there were seven main benefits – hence Seven.

The recipe for the dog food using locally sourced human grade meat, fresh fruit and vegetables was created over 30 years ago  but couldn’t be brought to market due to the lack of technology.

Seven was set up by a group of independent pet retailers who wanted to provide a high-quality food that would be good for a dogs’ health, that they could sell in their stores and not be undercut by the online retailers or large chains and, most importantly, wouldn’t break the bank for customers!

The name Seven came as they talked about the benefits that they wanted the food to have, there were Seven main ones hence the name Seven was born. One of the key aspects of food that customers talked about in store with the staff was a food that was high in protein and grain free – we listened and we found a manufacturer who could produce exactly what our customers had asked for.

Grains are not bad for dogs, it’s just that they find the protein tastier!

I don’t know about other pet owners but I felt that there was so much choice of what to feed my own dogs that it was very confusing.

The Pet Food Manufacturers Association state that pet food must be a minimum of 4% of a particular animal product for it to be classes as a flavour. This means that the remaining 96% is “filling” such as cereal, grain, additives, sugar and water.  This shocked me into looking for something better for my dogs.

So what does grain free mean – it’s a balance and uses vegetables to add taste & texture and sweet potatoes (complex carbohydrates) to maintain energy levels and keep your dogs stomachs full.  More like a Sunday roast than breakfast cereal.

I was also concerned about my dogs putting on weight and having Labradors but without taking anything away from the taste the complex carbohydrates contain less sugars which could turn into fat and more vitamins and fibre than simple carbohydrates and will help to keep dogs fuller for longer.

The grain free range is also very suitable for dogs with allergies – quite simply a healthy diet leads to healthy gut and then to a healthy dog.

Seven Pet Food has a range of food from puppies/junior dogs up to Senior dogs so they could be on the range for life. 

I’ve got all 3 of mine Labradors on their products – Muppet & Rosie love the duck or salmon and Rosie is at the moment on the chicken puppy.

BACK TO TOP